Spotlights into kitchen alcove/serving hatch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trecool
Labourer
Labourer

Spotlights into kitchen alcove/serving hatch

by trecool » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:42 pm

I'm looking to insert 2 little lights into the space of an old kitchen serving hatch (at the top) and wire it via the mains. Will I be able to do this or do ALL lights need space at the top? Obviously this is a solid wall (although I will be attaching it to a wooden 'beam' and then putting it to the top of the recess. I know I will have to channel out space for wires to run in the wall to hide wires. This is fine as I'm putting a new kitchen in. Hope this makes sense!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:54 pm

Depends on lights being usedare they fire rated, are there any combustable materials within 500mm of lights. What space is in the void the lights are fixed if downlights, is insulation in the void.
Aslo
check these links out;
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm
Google "competentperson.co.uk"

KB

trecool
Labourer
Labourer

by trecool » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:33 pm

Oh yeah, also, how do you go about hiding the wires from one cabinet to the next when you have to jump past a kitchen cooker hood?! I'm thinking of linking them with other under-cupboard lights now!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:06 am

This is all part p work, and you do need some knowledge of what you are doing. It's not that easy from a remote situation to explain how to link lights up. I can see the hazards that I could come across.
Would not want to give bad advise.
I really recommend if you have little knowledge on this subject to seek on site advise of qualified electrician.
Kitchens are under the building regulations considered a special location and legal requirements are to be complied to or your house insurance may become invalid, you may not be able to sell your house on as you have not got the certificates for the work and you could also end up in court.
I'd really love to help but lets play this one safe!
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:09 pm