Spur off a cooker circuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tel
Labourer
Labourer

Spur off a cooker circuit

by Tel » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:50 pm

Can I power an electric shower from a cooker circuit as a spur?
Nearly impossible to run a new cable from the consumer unit to the new shower (wooden floors recently laid) I can access the cooker point and it is close to the new shower.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:37 am

TEL Assuming from your infomation ( cooker is being utilised )
The circuit is designated for and designed for your cooker only.
nothing should be added on.
you would need a separate circuit for your shower.
As this is part p notifiable ( project section for info ) , you notify building control yourself , or get in a part p electrician.

BLAKEY1963

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:48 am

Blakey is being kind. The answer is a most emphatic NO! If you are even asking this question then you do not know what you are doing and you should get a Part P electrician in to quote you for the work. Get three quotes for comparison purposes.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Tel
Labourer
Labourer

by Tel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:03 am

Blakey
Many thanks for the advice. The cooker is used and the ease of using this outlet is its draw. If I ran it behind a skirting board would I need to take any precautions to ensure its electrical safety? It would be a 20m run.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:45 am

Tel you are not getting the message. You should NOT be doing this work. You have not read Blakeys advice. He says don't do it and now you are saying "thanks for the advice, I'm going to ignore it anyway, is this OK?"

A 20 meter run? Have you calculated the cable size reqirements for that length of run for the power of your shower, taking into account the routing of the cable and the size of circuit protection that you need at the consumer unit? I suspect not.

For the last 5 years it has been ILLEGAL for you to do this work without involving your LABC unless you are a registered electrician. They will not allow you to do it unless you are competant.

I am sorry but every time you post you make it clear that you do not have the faintest idea what you are doing. For your own sake get a sparks in or we'll be reading in the papers about the unfortunate fire that was "nobodys" fault. It will be someone's fault of course - it will be yours!

Cheers

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:45 pm

yes, to ensure it's electrical safety don't do it!!

for the reasons given above, this would be totally illegal, dangerous and will invalidate your house insurance.

This cable may well not be rated high enough for your shower, likewise the breaker. This circuit is almost certainly not RCD protected, which is a legal requirement for very good reasons. It is illegal to spur off a cooker circuit for anyting, it is a dedicated circuit.

It may also cause problems in selling your house later necause your homebuyers pack amy not contain the required electrical certs. Although these aren't part of the pack at present they are likely to become so, and anyone can ask for them wether they are part of the pack or not.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:13 pm

A shower MUST be on it's own circuit, with NOTHING else connected to the circuit.
The cable supplying the shower needs to be worked out, this will be done by calculating the current needed to supply the shower (from the output and voltage rating).
Then you will need to select a suitable protective device that will supply the current and then a suitable cable to carry the current supplied safely.
Taking in to consideration, how and where the cable is routed. ie in thermal insulation, with other cables, ambient temps.
These factors will all effect the size of the cable.
RCD/RCBO protection is also a must have.
As previously mentioned it is in a special location and the powers that be deem this notifiable work. So an application must be made to building controls prior to work starting, this must be approved and a fee paid.
This can cost over 200 pound depended where you live, then there's your labour cost, materials etc... to consider.
May I suggest you employ a suitable qualified electrician to do the work, would end up cheaper, you can put your feet and relax.
Last edited by kbrownie on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:22 am

TEL
i appreciate your predicament , but now the other experts have commented , i ask you to please consider my final advice.
Please do not wire from your cooker point , it would be dangerous.
A new circuit is needed and once it is installed it is over and done with.
I am sure you will reconsider and get in a part p electrician to do this for you - thank you for listening.

BLAKEY1963

Layzee
Labourer
Labourer

by Layzee » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:55 am

[quote="Tel"]Blakey
Many thanks for the advice. The cooker is used and the ease of using this outlet is its draw. If I ran it behind a skirting board would I need to take any precautions to ensure its electrical safety? It would be a 20m run.[/quote]

20m run is by no way close, also no one as yet has even mentioned earth bonding so i assume you are fully aware of how to earth bond your bathroom !
This does indeed sound like a disaster waiting to happen

This is why we have regulations to stop people like you doing stuff you know sfa about,
My advice swallow your pride, get a pro in, and live long and prosper and enjoy your shower.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:03 am

"Layzee"

"....also no one as yet has even mentioned earth bonding so i assume you are fully aware of how to earth bond your bathroom !"

You are right noone has mentioned it previously in this thread. Please explain particularly with relevance to this thread.

Cheers

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:45 pm