spur off shaver socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
adrianfs1
Labourer
Labourer

spur off shaver socket

by adrianfs1 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:49 pm

hello all, new on here and got a question for all you pros, just fitted a fused switched spur for our new led mirror, i wired it through the shaver socket. although i found out that the shaver socket is wired to the lighting circuit, anyway it works fine although the switch does not switch off the power to the mirror, i assume it is still protected by the fuse, but why wont the switch work, any advice or help is very much appreciated.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:01 am

A shaver socket must only supply one item. If there are two outlets they both must have their own isolated windings. They are type tested and it is not permissible to alter them and although it would seem safer to have the transformer remote from socket it is not allowed.
They also have a very limited output even some mouth hygiene items will not work from shaver outlets and with such a limited output supplying from lights is no problem as the rules as to using lighting supply for power were scrapped pre-war when we went to same meter for power and light.
As to "The Switch" what switch? Light switch, Fused spur switch, Switch on mirror? If referring to fused spur then one would assume you have made some critical errors and likely the fuse is also out of circuit.
Normally we have shaver sockets in a room containing a bath or a shower and in England and Wales any work would be notifiable to LABC. Scotland has their own rules but very similar.
It seems you don't have the skill and as to advice it must be get an electrician who is a member of a scheme to do the work for you.
I assume you mean a LED light on the mirror although I suppose a web cam on a computer monitor will turn the monitor into a LED mirror and with that in mind it would be so easy to give wrong advice.
All items in a room containing a bath or a shower must be designed to work in that environment by the manufactures at least within 3 meters of the bath or shower and the rules depend so much on the design that with such a poor description you must be referred to a registered electrician who can visit and advise without any chance of missing some vital point.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:37 pm