strip light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
daisuki
Apprentice
Apprentice

strip light

Post by daisuki » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:38 am

I have a single 6ft strip light in my kitchen, when i switch it on it flashes on and off continuosly.
If i take the starter out, the light stays on without flashing.
I have changed the starter twice, but this has not resolved the problem.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: strip light

Post by sparx » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Hi are you sure the starters you are using are of the correct wattage?
6' fittings are oddities, most standard starters will do a range including 5' & 8' but may not do a 6' correctly.
I think 6' tubes are 75Watts and you can't always change tubes from old large diameter type to slimmer ones either.
Presume the tube is good too?

daisuki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by daisuki » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:18 pm

[quote="sparx"]Hi are you sure the starters you are using are of the correct wattage?
6' fittings are oddities, most standard starters will do a range including 5' & 8' but may not do a 6' correctly.
I think 6' tubes are 75Watts and you can't always change tubes from old large diameter type to slimmer ones either.
Presume the tube is good too?[/quote]

Many thanks for your reply, i presume the tube is good , how do i know if i have the correct starter.?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:07 am

When a tube goes it tends to over work the starter and often it takes out the starter at same time as tube. It is common as the tube starts to go to be able to keep it running for a little longer by removing the starter.

In old units there are three components the choke, starter, and tube. The choke does not often fail, the tube will last around four years and is matched to the choke. The choke does two things if gives a pulse to get it started and limits run current. The starter can be divided into two types. Electronic will only work with single tubes but tend to last longer and bi-metal will work with twin tubes and there are more versions to cover same range plus do not last as long.

So the choke will say what size tube and the starter will say what tube it matches. However there as Sparx says some odd ones that need a special type. So easy way read the details on old one and match with same type of new one. The same with tube wattage and thickness.

daisuki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by daisuki » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:54 pm

[quote="ericmark"]When a tube goes it tends to over work the starter and often it takes out the starter at same time as tube. It is common as the tube starts to go to be able to keep it running for a little longer by removing the starter.

In old units there are three components the choke, starter, and tube. The choke does not often fail, the tube will last around four years and is matched to the choke. The choke does two things if gives a pulse to get it started and limits run current. The starter can be divided into two types. Electronic will only work with single tubes but tend to last longer and bi-metal will work with twin tubes and there are more versions to cover same range plus do not last as long.

So the choke will say what size tube and the starter will say what tube it matches. However there as Sparx says some odd ones that need a special type. So easy way read the details on old one and match with same type of new one. The same with tube wattage and thickness.[/quote]

Many thanks for all your help, as the unit is 20yrs old now, i have decided to replace the whole thing.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 am