Stripped Paint on Shower Ceiling to far Back to Plaster Cardboard Lining
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
THEWABEL
Labourer
Labourer

Stripped Paint on Shower Ceiling to far Back to Plaster Cardboard Lining

by THEWABEL » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:46 am

Please help. I'm a infrequent/reluctant /ill informed DIY'er and I've got myself into a mess and need assistance.

My shower room ceiling was staring to peel and flake a little so had hoped to strip the paint off, give it a light sand and when I had a nice clean, flat and smooth surface, I'd bond/seal with Zinsser BULLS EYE® 1-2-3, then paint with Zinsser Perma-White Matt Interior paint.

Using a paint scrapper by hand I managed to strip a layer or 2 of the offending paint off and and saw i was quick down to the greenish coloured paper plaster board lining. I manged to get the half of the ceiling paint stripped back like this. The rest of the ceiling was more tricky and accidentally scraped and pulled the paint to far/deep and went past the plasterboard green lining revealing a cardboard like brown lining of the plaster board. I spent the next half day stripping the ceiling back to get the same flat brown cardboard lining through-out. Although there are a few 50p sized patches where I'm through to the white of plasterboard, its a fairly smooth surface, however I am unsure now what to do next?

Can I stick to the original plan? will the BULLS EYE® 1-2-3 adhere to the brown cardboard like lining of the plasterboard ? Should I PVA it 1st? If these aren't options I can't afford to get this skimmed professionally so any other guidance would be appreciated?

The shower room is approx 3 x 1.5 metres and has a decent extractor.

Thanks

David

gc1967
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Stripped Paint on Shower Ceiling to far Back to Plaster Cardboard Lining

by gc1967 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:42 pm

Stain block the bare patches and skim with easifil and lightly rub down, stain block over the filler and when dry apply 2 coats of your chosen ceiling paint.
Other option would be to fill bad areas and lign the ceiling a lot cheaper than getting a plasterer in

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:38 am