Stripping hessian wallpaper!!!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cameron
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stripping hessian wallpaper!!!

by cameron » Thu May 01, 2008 1:44 pm

I have hessian wallpaper in my old house which I've started to strip. The hessian layer it's self comes off really easy leaving the backing paper. Trouble is, the backing paper seems to be stuck on with industrial strength glue which doesn't want to budge. I can't use a steamer as it blows the plaster! It's takes about an hour just to strip off with a scaper an area the about 600mm square.
Please help.

pbp
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pbp » Wed May 07, 2008 10:00 am

X-Tex Textured Caotings remover will take the paper off as it will soften the glue underneath and it should come off quite easily.

Take a look at the projects page for removing artex. Leave it on for a few hours or even paste a wall up and cover with cling film and leave overnight. The X-Tex will penetrate the paper and soften the glue.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed May 07, 2008 12:05 pm

or leave the backing paper in place and repaper over the top of it if it's in reasonable condition.

If you want a painted surface then use a heavy (1200 or 1400) grade lining paper first.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:47 pm