Strong adhesive for fixing batons to concrete ceiling
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rinkerdink
Apprentice
Apprentice

Strong adhesive for fixing batons to concrete ceiling

Post by Rinkerdink » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi,

I posted the content below on the plastering section but have since seen this section where it may be more appropriate, please could you let me know if my idea will work and also suggest/ recommend an adhesive if so.

Cheers

I have a 1990's built flat which has a preformed concrete slab ceiling and floor. It is a studio but I am turing it into a 1 bed by opening up the kithen into the lounge area and partitioning a bedroom space off. Due to the nature of the construction chasing the ceiling to redirect lighting cabling is a non starter on the grounds of weakening the structure. I had origionally planned to try and find the tublular voids in the slabs and run cabling through these and the stud walls but have written this idea off in favour of creating a small ceiling void to run cables through - 1" with 9mm board over the top if possible.

I am concerned about puncturing the ceiling slab to much and weaking the structure so would like to know if glueing baton on to the ceiling with some kind of chemical fix is a viable alternative to drilling and fixing or obo nailing (this is how they seem to have supported existing partitions) baton on to support the covering board. I don't have to run in any new cabling, just extend and reposition what is already there so I am very lucky in this respect, just don't know if my current idea will work.

Advice is greatly appreciated

mdpmspitfire
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by mdpmspitfire » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:42 pm

gripfill or simular should work but you will have to pin or wedge battens untill set. i wouldnt recommend this method for anything larger than a small run of boxing

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:19 am

don't know if i would trust it to gripfill. slightest hint of dust on the surface and it may fail. same is true of course of all adhesives, i would suggest some sort of two-part resin such as anchor resin?

also i would be inclined to pin the battens with a few screws here and there. you are right to be concerned about going into the ceiling, but a few short fat screws and rawlplugs will help immensely. don't underestimate the weight that those battens are going to have to take!

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:42 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:03 pm