DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Structural Engineer or Timber Frame Designer?

Postby Rockthegazbah » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm


I’m a newby to this forum and this is my first post.

I’ve just got planning permission for a single story extension at my property which I plan to self-build with a timber frame construction. I need structural calculations for building regs for the frame, lintels etc so my question is this: do I approach a structural engineer or do I need a timber frame designer (or both)?

The design is very simple - 6.6x4.6m extension with a mono-pitch tikes roof to create an open/vaulted ceiling inside. There’ll be 4m doors on the long side and 2.4m in the shorter side. Exterior clad in larch.

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:33 pm

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics