suitable wood adhesive..
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

suitable wood adhesive..

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu May 15, 2008 11:36 am

hi,

our six month old son won't go to sleep without being rocked and the crib-type of cot has just about been rocked to bits!

the problem is that one of the feet has come away where it meets the upright support. it is held with just three dowels and glue. i want to clean off the old glue and fix.

what is the best type of glue for this? i'm wondering if pva wood adhesive is up to the job, especially if we rock him again. i was thinking of using polyeurethane expanding glue but am a bit worried that it might mark the varnished wood. as its a borrowed cot i dont want to damage it further! but the PU glue would help to grip the dowels as i fear that the holes have enlarged.

also how to clean off the old glue? its a hard white glue, not dissimilar to pva though i don't think that's what it is. i think a chisel may be the only answer.

also any suggestions on how i could clamp whilst it dries?

one final thing.. any suggestions on how to get a six month old to sleep through the night?? :D

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon May 19, 2008 2:18 am

Chris

It's probably PVA. Tried wetting it slightly to make it flexible again?

The expanding stuff will probably work. Ive used it near a varnished surface before and don't remember it doing any damage.

Sorry can't immediately visualise what you want to clamp so a tad difficult to advise.

Club hammer perhaps or a mickey finn. Alternatively fit ear plugs to self and wife.

Cheers

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:45 am

thanks rosebery,

i tried to put a link on my post to a picture of a similar cot to show the issue with clamping but was removed by the moderator.

i've been looking out for these mickey finns as i've heard of them before. can't seem to find one, even google doesn't seem to have heard of them. is it some sort of strap clamp?

tried ear plugs, don't seem to be able to find them rated at a high enough decibel level :O\

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu May 29, 2008 11:12 am

Sorry my warped sense of humour. Mickey Finn is a slang term for a drink laced with knockout drops. Has the same effect as the club hammer when applied to the noise source. Very un-PC of me.

Cheers

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:13 am

tried the mickey finn and it worked a treat!!

just kidding, in case there are any social workers reading!

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:36 pm

i went with the pu glue in the end as i had to drill out the dowel holes to remove the old adhesive, enlarging the holes in the process. so i thought that the expanding pu would work best. it worked a treat and without the need for clamping (manufacturers instructions state not required in all cases.)

- did look like pva but dampening it didn't seem to have any effect on it at all so could well be something else.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:46 pm