summerhouse project
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
derekh110953
Labourer
Labourer

summerhouse project

by derekh110953 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi there,
I'm new here so please excuse if i've posted wrongly.
I intend erecting a timber summerhouse this year Dimension will be 3M suare. I would like to install a solid fuel stove for use on cold winter days.
I have read up as best i can but can't find anything that covers solid fuel stoves being used in timber structures. I propose building a small brick/block work inglenook (about .5M sq and 1M in hieght). into one of the side walls which will actually be external to the summerhouse if you follow me.
I believe i don't need plannning permission or building regs for a timber summerhouse (a temporary structure) so long as i keep outside the specified distances from buildings and boundary fences.
Do I need planning permission? or even Building Regs to build the fireplace or use the stove? Are there any other pionters or considerations that might be useful

matt h
Tradesman
Tradesman

by matt h » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:55 am

may depend on what you are burning on the stove, but believe building regs now applies to any roofed structure...which funnily enough covers pergolas believe it or not. The size of your structure is also limited by the size of any building protrusions on the main residence such as conservatories and porches, etc.Ask your local planning and building regs offices for advice..advice is free and you'll usually find they try to assist as best they can :)

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1