Supply to outside and brick out-house/shed

Postby tom-mk » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:55 pm


We recently had an extension built during which I requested that the electrician provided a connection to the back garden that could then be extended. This has been done via a double pole switched spur with a 13A fuse on the kitchen/dinning room/utility room circuit. This spur has been terminated on the outside wall in an external box. The main consumer unit is Quickline D, and has MCB (mini circuit breakers?) on each circuit and a RCD (?) on the main supply to the board. The garden is approximately 30m long to the brick shed/out-house. (I hope that provides enough background)

My questions are:

- What sort of cable should I use to take the power down to the shed, amoured 2.5mm twin & earth?
- Can this cable be buried under the ground and are there guidelines I need to follow, such as cable should be X cm under ground, or protected by X?
- Once in the shed, is it best to terminate the feed into another small consumer unit which can then be used to feed and control other individual circuits, such as shed lights, shed sockets, external lights, pond pump?
- If so would this unit need to be earth bonded?
- Where the feed comes out of the house (and then down to the shed), I was going to replace the box with a MK Electric Masterseal switched double socket or rcd protected double socket, and then take the feed down to the shed. Is this okay or should I run a supply back from the consumer unit in the shed down to the socket on the side of the house? (I'll admit, I'm hoping not)
- Would you recommend anything other than MK Electric Masterseal?
- Would you recommend any particular sort of armoured cable and associated fittings? (I'm assuming that fittings such as the waterproof glands will fit sockets/boxes from various suppliers/manufacturers)

Thanks very much.

Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:43 pm


Simply Build It

Postby sparx » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:32 pm

presume you know you can't do any of this yourself? Part P work !
however for information as protected by supply RCD & 13A fuse already then no need for further protection to socket in out building. SWA should be buried at a depth not likely to be disturbed by normal garden activity, ie deeper than a fork! also once in trench back fill 1/2 depth, then put in cable marker tape ' Danger Buried Cables' from wholesaler, then fill on top, no other protection reqd.
in building you can have installed sockets & a fused Connection unit for lights with 3A fuse, your registered leckie will advise further
regards SPARX
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:33 pm
Location: The fifth continent.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides

  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!


  • Related Topics