DIY Doctor

Main navigation

support for loadbearing wall

Postby LAB » Wed May 30, 2012 10:15 am

Hi all
Need to remove brick 2450m partition wall beetwen kitchen/dining room, problem is the wall above in the bedroom has been bult on the floorboards, (50s Council house) 40cm from the partition wall which supports "ends" of joists spanning two bedrooms, I assume that the best course of action would be to accro scaffold board on celing under bedroom wall and same under celing nearest to the crossing joists.
grateful for any advice, thanks.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:32 pm


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Wed May 30, 2012 6:46 pm

all structural works carried out are to be approved and inspected by the local council building control officer.
But to remove the wall, each side has to be proped with screw jacks with a plank on the ceiling.The bearing of the new beam on each side has to be at least a min of 150mm placed on a solid concrete block or lintol to spread the weight.I recommend using a Catnic box lintol ,or similar design, for the beam
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics