Surround Sound
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CraigL
Apprentice
Apprentice

Surround Sound

by CraigL » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi,

I've decided to run my new surround sound system and sky box from the living room into the cupboard under the stairs, and mount TV onto a wall bracket

I'm going to run the cables, SCART, HDMI, Power & Magic Eye Connection, down the wall and around the edge of the room, under the hall floor, (concrete, will be a bitch to chase) and into the cupboard under the stairs.

I want to put a new power socket under the stairs, there is currently nothing there. I have a socket, two plugs (is that a double?) on the wall opposite about 1m distance I'd say.....is it just a case of spurring from this, under the floor with the other cables? Else I have a socket in the kitchen, approx 3m away

Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:30 pm

Hi, two things, first check that existing double (2gang) socket is not already a spur, eg has 2 cables in it, if so probably ok to let into floor chase, ideally in plastic conduit, (oval is smaller) .
secondly it must be seperate from other services such as you mention, which will be done if run in conduit anyway.
If you come from kitchen socket it becomes notifiable work....don't go there!

CraigL
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CraigL » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:55 am

the word probably worries me...!

This is my preferred option, and I was going to conduit it yeah so I wouldn't encounter that problem. Thanks for the heads up mind

Should it be a spur, what would be my options? Can you still spur off a pur, reading into it......? Or have I read that wrong? Would I then have to break into the upstairs ring, and JB in?

Thanks again

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi, my point was you are not allowed more than 1 socket (single or double) on a spur, so if one cable there it is already a spur so no more can be run from it.
If 2 cables it should indicate it's on the ring so can be spurred from.
(SHOULD=) some one may have already run a spur of a spur incorrectly,
the only way to know is by disconnection of cables at socket and check for ring circuit continuity which is getting out of realms of DIY.
know your own limitations, don't chance it,
regards Sparx

CraigL
Apprentice
Apprentice

by CraigL » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:09 am

Ok, it's the only socket in the hall, isn't a DIY job as far as can reasonably certain, so it SHOULD be on the main ring as part of the original wiring. Not unreasonable to assume.....(?)!

Take your point re limitations, but I feel comfortable enough having a look at the back plate and going from there.

What I've taken from your post is that provided it's on the main ring I can spur off without issue, conduit under the floor seperately.

Out of interest, can the other cables be run within the same conduit, as I've seen larger variations, or should each cable have it's own conduit? I was going to run the power seperately like you mentioned, but the TV / Satellite connections I was considering 'lumping in'

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi again, power must be seperate but others should be ok together, if all screened type cables, to cut 'cross talk' from each other.
As long as not spurring from kitchen should be OK to do.
Don't forget if old wiring colours in use & your new is in 'new' colours you should fit a label at con. unit to indicate dual standard.
regards SPARX

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:55 am