Syphon sprayer not working properly on old compressor
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NormanW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Syphon sprayer not working properly on old compressor

by NormanW » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:41 pm

This is a long shot really. Does anyone know anything about adjusting syphon airline sprayers? I have an ancient air compressor and several different airline attachments. It was made in 1978 in Spain and I bought it second hand in 2003.

I am trying to get the Syphon Spray Gun to work properly spraying emulsion paint on new walls, but I can only get 4 or 5 passes before the spray area drops from a 25 centimetre spread to just 8 centimetres. I have to open the air cap, then pull the trigger three or four times. The fluid tip isn't blocked but the air is obviously clearing some blockage somewhere. When I screw the air cap back, it works just fine again for a few more passes. The emulsion is diluted with 25% water and seems the right viscosity, when it is all working.

The makers label has almost been rubbed off. It is EX-DEF?????? Modelo DPA Made in Spain. The air cap is marked 21 (not 2.1) The fluid tip is marked 080002-1 78 EX. 78 I believe is probably the year, the same as the compressor. The air adjusting valve assembly seems to be immediately behind the fluid cap.

There are no seals or gaskets behind the air cap. New sprayers all seem to have them, but there does not seem to be space in mine. There is a gasket behind the fluid tip, made of some kind of plastic, which is still flexible and works. when spraying I get bubbles of clear water coming from the screw thread at the back of the air cap. I have tried all the usual web searches but come up with nothing.

If someone knows about airline spraying, I would be very pleased to hear what I am doing wrong!

Thanks for reading

NW
Attachments
spray_gun.JPG

NormanW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Solved - Syphon sprayer not working properly on old compressor

by NormanW » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:15 pm

I also posted the question on a US forum and have received the answer!

There is a small vent hole in the top of the paint pot which has to be kept clear. When I looked at the top of my sprayer, the hole was completely blocked solid with rock hard paint.

I removed the plug with some small drill bits in a pin vice and now it works perfectly.

NW

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 pm