Taking out two way light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
a-j
Labourer
Labourer

Taking out two way light switch

by a-j » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:25 pm

I wish to keep the switch, but make the wiring from the switch dead on one side. It supplies wall and ceiling lights. I'm taking the wall mounts off. So if I bury the wires from them into the wall, all I need do is make the switch none functional on one side. Or is there more to it then that please.

The wiring - brown going from L2 to L2. red out of L2. blue out of com point below brown and red point. yellow out of com on other side below the return of brown into L2.

Many thanks for now A-J

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi a-j,
First it seems you have a red which is live in to one sw. with the brown looped to give live to other sw. then blue out to control either centre light or wall lights with the yellow switching the other lights.
If so then by disconnecting either yel. or blue wire and making safe in connector block will prevent the wall lights from working. So just check which half of double sw makes wall lights operate and remove its switch line (yel/blu) as above.
If you want a better way just change for a one gang switch using red in common and either yel/blu in L1 making safe remaining yel/blu as appropriate.
A more correct way of making it totally safe would be to find the link between the switch wires and the wall lights and disconnect the wall lights L,N. & earth but it may be at a ceiling light or at a junction box and would not IMHO be a safe DIY job.
Regards SPARX

a-j
Labourer
Labourer

Quick reply

by a-j » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:12 am

Thank you for your quick reply sparx. And I will be back for more advice soon, as theres a lot of unfinished work to do on the DIY front here.

Again thank you
A-J

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:56 pm