Telephone Extension Problem
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andi licious
Apprentice
Apprentice

Telephone Extension Problem

by andi licious » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:27 am

Hi All,

I have decided to move my phone socket away from the window cill now I have an Apple Time Capsule as my router and don't want to come home one night to find no window and no Time Capsule.

For neatness I decided to joint the incoming phone line where it enters my house at the tip of the window and run the new cable around the coving and in under the stairs where I have made a shelf dedicated to the outlet items, ie ADSL filter, modem and Time Capsule.

I purchased a joint box, and master socket outlet from screwfix. These are all the type you use the IDC tool with. I have made the connections and checked them, black & green were connected in the original one, I used black & green in the new cable for ease of id and then black & green go to terminals 2 & 5 on the rear of the master socket.

My problem is I have no signal whatsoever. I put my meter on the incoming terminals at the joint box and have circa 49v but at the new master socket I have nothing. I have checked the cable and it seems fine and have even tried the setup again with a length of offcut cable bu I still get nothing, even when trying it back with the old original master outlet!

Is there anything I should be doing to get it to work?

I'm totally stumped by it. It's only a 2 core how could it be so wrong??

Any help would e gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Telephone Extension Problem

by ericmark » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:07 pm

You are not suppose to do anything to BT side of the master socket. The BT socket has a removable half which plugs into the other half so when testing you can just unplug your half of the socket and test directly in the BT half.

As you say there is 50 volt pin 2 to pin 5 which reverses polarity to ring the phone. But after the master you then have three wires to be able to ring the phone. A capacitor and spark gap are fitted in the master socket.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:28 am