Terraced House and Lead Flashing Roof Joint
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
mmarchant1980
Labourer
Labourer

Terraced House and Lead Flashing Roof Joint

Post by mmarchant1980 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:53 am

Morning.

Approx 12 months ago a new roof was fitted on our terraced home. Our roof is slighly higher than our neihbours roof (approx 300mm).
The roofer informed me that the point at which both roofs joined had been 'botched', and someone had used cement or similar to smooth the joint.

Taking the roofers advice, I decided to have the joint work completed correctly, with lead flashing and a 'plastic type' covering which makes everything look neat & tidy. (This was an additional £450 and never asked my neighbour to contribute)

From the front of the house, the joint looks great, with a black plastic casing running along the whole length of the joint. The back of our home however cannot been seen unless you actually use ladders and go up on to the roof.

A few days ago, our neighbour did just that. He took a photo and pointed out that the roof didn't look quite right. (please see photo).

The roofer was highly rated online and I had no issues with his work or attitude. I have contacted him (with the picture) asking for his advice / explanation.

He replied, stating that there was probably lead flashing underneath and not to worry about it... which makes no sense to me? - I then asked what about the casing which is clearly missing? (looks like the work hasn't been completed maybe? and have received no reply)

My neighbour has said they are also missing a slate but nothing has fallen off the roof either side?

Please take a look at the picture (apologies for the poor quality and basic description, I have very limited knowledge on roofing) and advise.

Got a feeling the roof may need a little more work and concerned my neighbour is angling for compensation for the missing slate (saying he has damp / leaks, although he had that before the work commenced).

Many thanks,

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:21 pm