Thinking of installing an insulated ceiling in my conservatory
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jimbo2000
Labourer
Labourer

Thinking of installing an insulated ceiling in my conservatory

by Jimbo2000 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:30 am

Hello

Im looking for some advice/opinion on the above project, there seems to be a lot of divided views on this subject on the internet.
you have the pros who tend to be DIYers and trades that offer this specific service (insulated conservatory ceilings) - then there are the bigger company's who appear to strongly advise against this (no doubt to sell their warm roof options).

I have a 16 year old P shape conservatory 7m x 3m approx. - but you guessed it we just don't really use it , the usual too hot or too cold problems , it has electric heaters but you can see the electricity racking up on the meter like watching a stop watch so I don't put them on.

I'm keen to create a more all year round family space and my initial plans are too insulate the ceiling using super quilt insulation and baton system initialy I was keen to plaster board and add spots but ive read the plaster board can crack due to movement so am now leaning to the pvc cladding route still with spot lights - i ve gotten a bit spooked about the weight - can a conservatory roof take a plasterboard ceiling ? has any one got one ? what's been you experience.

Once the ceiling is done I then intent to add radiators to the existing central heating system - I've spoken to my local council and been advised building regs not a problem on both fronts.

My other concern is would this detract from the value of the property - my feeling is that creating an all year round useable space should add value ?

really keen to hear any thoughts on this thanks for your time in advance

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Thinking of installing an insulated ceiling in my conservatory

by stoneyboy » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi jimbo2000
Your proposal has a number of issues. A lot will depend on the existing roof structure - timber, upvc, aluminium. Glazed with polycarbonate sheets, single glazing, double glazed.
Lightweight cladding (hollow section) is probably your only option but you will have to address the issue of condensation if you are going to insulate the cavity.
Regards S

Jimbo2000
Labourer
Labourer

by Jimbo2000 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:31 am

Hi Stoneyboy

Thanks for taking the time to post a response

The existing structure in double glazed throughout and appears upvc over ally frame (I can add some pics if helps).

With regards to condensation I plan to use 25mm batons screwed to the existing frames I've read I should screw into the ally frames through the plastic covers , then staple the super quilt in place leaving a decent overlap from section to section and sealing this all round and overlaps with the special silver tape.

Ive read this should create a vapor proof membrane, intend to insure outside and inside temps the same on installation day.

then follow up with more 20 or 25mm batons and clad onto these , so creating a gap between the insulation on both sides.

I also plan to add solar film to the inside of the roof glass as another barrier of protection.

What do you think ?

Do you think I should also silicone the glass edges just incase the seals are not 100%?

Thanks again for you time

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi jimbo2000
After 16 years it's almost certain that the rubber seals will have become brittle so you will need to cater for leaks onto your superquilt.
The other issue is how you will stop the warm (and moist) air from getting into the same space where condensation will form in colder weather.
Regards S

B4Less
Ganger
Ganger

by B4Less » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:20 pm

I do not see an issue with the conservatory holding the extra weight of the plasterboard. However, would not like to say for sure without knowing what kind of quality the conservatory is. I am assuming that your glass in the roof will remain in place and you are going to plasterboard underneath. In my opinion this could devalue the property as it would look quite ugly looking from the outside in on the roof and its an obvious quick fix to a problem.
The best result here would be to remove the glass roof and insert a new cut roof with a lightweight tile finish. this way you can then insulate and plasterboard the underside of the rafters. Personally I would not use PVC on the underside of any ceiling. Its cold and can quite quickly look like a quick fix if not done to a high standard and even then its still not a great finish.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:44 pm