Tiling a pitched roof! Where do i start?
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
k.jacko
Labourer
Labourer

Tiling a pitched roof! Where do i start?

Post by k.jacko » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:33 am

Hi all,

new poster here, looking for advice in the absent of my builder....and to save mulla! :D

I need to tile my new extension roof. It has a pitch orf 12.5°, drawn up by the architects on the plans and to match the house tiles they have spec'd Redland Regent tiles appropriate for this pitch.

I've done the felting and battening according to the spacing the builder said. He has checked it and says its spot on.
The brickwork has only been completely finished on one gable end, and thats the side i'm to start tiling from.
I was told to start at the bottom about 50mm past the batten ends. I 'think' the battens finish just inside the line of the outer wall (is that correct? i could be wrong on this :? )
I'm really not sure what the hell i'm doing. My builder who is actually a good friend is a bugger to get hold of on the phone, so by trying to avoid ruining a friendship, i'm asking in here for help.

So,:
1. exactly where do i start?
2. do i put these verge thingies in first?
3. I have 2 veluxes to go in. Should they not be in place before tiling?
4. What about soffits and fascia? When do they go inm before or after tiling?
5. Once i lay the 1st tile, which way is best to proceed? up or across?

Once tutored in such things and once i've understood what i'm to do, i'm usually ok at completing the job (hopefully, usually)

So and and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jacko

Grandad
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Grandad » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:27 am

Wow! As someone who did 5 years C & J apprenticeship and many years of studying to get an HNC, I am somewhat dismayed you can learn to be a roofer in half an hour. Too much TV I suspect.

But to help you out I suggest you get hold of Redland's information on this Regent tile. It can only be used down to 12.5 degrees in throughtone (Smooth) form laid with a minimum 100mm lap, which means 38x25mm battens at no more than 318mm centres. Velux rooflights usually come with full installation instructions. I look forward with interest how you cope with lead flashing from the wall to a heavily profiled roof tile.

Cheers, Grandad.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:59 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:45 am