Tiling on a damaged wall
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cptmike
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tiling on a damaged wall

by cptmike » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:39 pm

Having removed old tiles from my bathroom wall they have left behind a fair amount of damage (crumbling holes in the plaster). The wall is platerboard dabbed onto brick so removing and replacing the old plasterboard isn't an option.

I intend on retiling the area. What's the best way to get this surface ready for new tiles?

I have bought some multibond plaster and was going to fill the holes and skim the wall with this. Is this the best thing to do? Also, do I need to seal it with PVA before I tile?

I'd hate my tiles to drop off my wall onto my brand new bath below :shock: .

Thanks for any help.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:22 pm

Fill the holes with universal one coat plaster, sometimes called patching plaster which you can buy in most DIY sheds. Just get the walls as flat as you can and then paint over with a solution of 4 PVA to 1 water. This will stop the tile adhesive being soaked up immediately by the boards/plaster and leaving a lousy adhesion for the tiles. The really important thing here is that you grout the tiles really well taking great care to fill every joint. If water starts to get in behind the tiles they will all need to come off again.

cptmike
Apprentice
Apprentice

by cptmike » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:06 am

Thankyou!

I'll follow your advice and hope that it'll all turn out fine!

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:11 pm