Toilet fixing
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
goose
Tradesman
Tradesman

Toilet fixing

Post by goose » Sun May 04, 2008 9:05 pm

I've got an upstairs bathroom which I am going to put ply sheets on the floor to tile, should the loo be fixed to the floorboards then the ply fitted around or the loo/sink etc be removed and the ply laid then sink/loo fitted onto it?

2ndly this may seem a strange question -

I've got a shower tray to fit needs to sit on ply for a cement base for it (waste sitting under the floorboards) if I use a thiner ply for the shower tray than the rest of the floor so that the tray 'sits' in the floor slightly. is that practiable?

thanks

TerryH
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TerryH » Mon May 05, 2008 5:17 pm

I'd 'rough fit the wc pan, get a good idea of it's final position, then you will know where to fix a noggin across the joists to give a really good fix for the pan.
Fit the ply, fit the tiles and fix the pan on top of the whole thing, it looks so much neater.

Not exactly sure what the second part of the question is looking for.... sorry, can't help.
TH

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

Post by stevenc1603 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:50 am

As terry has said, put the pan on top of the ply and floor finish as it looks much better.

With regards to the shower tray, when I did my en-suite I laid the shower tray direct onto the existing floor and just ply'd the rest of the floor.

Once you have finished the floor tiling run a bead of silicon to seal the edge of the tray to the edge of the tiling on the floor.

goose
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by goose » Wed May 07, 2008 5:35 pm

thanks both :D

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed May 07, 2008 10:25 pm

Mortar is really only required if the shower tray base is not totally flat. Check the bottom with a straight edge to make sure there is not a dome in the middle. If it is flat, then strictly speaking the mortar is not critical.

A problem with fitting the tray directly on the floor is how do you make any adjustments to ensure the tray is perfectly horizontal? The tray must be completely supported underneath.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:59 pm