Towable digger/backhoe hire
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
carbar
Apprentice
Apprentice

Towable digger/backhoe hire

by carbar » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:08 pm

Hello.

I need to dig a trench in my back garden, but there is no access for even the smallest mini/micro digger.

However, I have seen online towable backhoes, which look like they might be a possibility, but I can't see anywhere that has them for hire.

Has anyone had an experience with these things?

Thanks,

Carl

Spuggyfoot
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Towable digger/backhoe hire

by Spuggyfoot » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:33 pm

I don’t see how a backhoe will be any narrower than a micro digger. Our digger is only 800mm? If a wheelbarrow fits you can usually fit a micro digger. The war you would have getting it in the garden and using it, (they are prone to dragging themselves around more digging anything) you may as well dig it by hand. How big is the trench? Can you take a fence panel out anywhere and reinstate it after. Maybe through the neighbours?

carbar
Apprentice
Apprentice

by carbar » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:23 am

Hello.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the side passage access to the back garden is less that 60cm wide at its narrowest. Access through the house is unlikely because there is a dog-leg into the kitchen. We only just managed to get our fridge through the gap by taking the doors off (that had a footprint of about 90cm x 60cm).

Access via the neighbours' garden would be difficult due to their garden being higher than ours.

The reason I was looking at towable backhoes is I am assuming (possibly incorrectly) that they can be easily dismantled and easier to carry that a self propelled digger.

Regards,

Carl

Spuggyfoot
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Spuggyfoot » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:28 am

Hmmmm, Carl it seems like I said it would be easier to just dig it by hand than start dismantling and rebuilding plant machinery. A couple of good keen men can move quite a bit of earth in a day. The money and time you are going to invest would be better spent on manpower. Sometimes it is what it is.
If it is a big project and you are going to persist with the backhoe idea and are struggling to hire one, I’d suggest buying one. They are a highly resalable item and you should get all your money back. (If you can put it back together)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:00 pm