DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Transformer advise requested.

Postby Dano2808 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:00 pm

Good Evening,
I'm not v competant on electrics so ask your advice. I have a few old Guinness bar pumps which i want to use a table lamps, but im not sure about which transformer to get. The details on the unit states "connect to 12/24V AC or 24V DC supply only" the bulb fitted is a GE F7BX840/4P, weird little 4pin lamp. Hopefully this is enough info for someone more knowledgeable than me to determine which transformer i would need to run the lamps, there seems such a choice, but im not confident enough to make one!! I'd really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:44 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:47 am

The bulb you quote is a compact florescent unit with will not be directly connected to a extra low voltage supply. It is also only listed on USA web sites. The rating you quote seems like the input to a high frequency inverter used to run these units.
Inverters often have a huge latitude in supply type and voltage but it seems a little odd to transform down to feed an inverter.
I would have thought it would be better to swap inverter to a mains powered type.
I would go to local electrical whole sale outlet and try and get a mains powered inverter/ballast I think it's a Philips MASTER PL-S 7W/827/4P 1CT lamp and has a 2G7 base and the lamp is rated as 7W.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics