Treated wooden floors in bathrooms
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dontdiet
Labourer
Labourer

Treated wooden floors in bathrooms

by dontdiet » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:13 am

I am having a bathroom overhaul next week: new suite, tiles and flooring. Someone is going to fit everything for me and had thought that I would have a waterproof - real - wooden floor fitted. I had seen packs of (apparently) waterproofed wooden floor planks for sale at one of my local DIY warehouses.

However, I have heard that wooden floors are not suitable for bathrooms, even if treated with an appropriate waterproofing agent. My plumber/builder doesn't seem too sure about this himself. Please advise.[b[/b]

Tall Tone
Ganger
Ganger

by Tall Tone » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:06 pm

Wood and water go together well when designed that way. Sadly wooden flooring is dried to normal room humidity and will swell when given water. I have seen many wooden floors in bathrooms, and most look fine given you look after the floor appropriately.
The main issue is spills, water and cleaning products, these will damage the surface of the floor, avoid bleach, cistern condensation etc
Go for a lacquer not an oil as they are harder to mark with water spills.
It can work and look really good, just be careful.
TT

dontdiet
Labourer
Labourer

by dontdiet » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:14 pm

Thanks for your advice. Your comments were really helpful.

I am considering lacquered bamboo flooring for the bathroom although given your comments about maintenance, I may opt for rubber floor tiles as these are much easier to look after.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:44 pm