under kitchen cabinet lighting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Brigzie
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Brigzie » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:42 pm

hi,i would like to fit 5 lv lights under my cabinets,they come in pairs with a 105va transformer prewired.i would like to have 1 switch to turn them on.how is best to wire them up.regards,brigzie.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:38 pm

Hi ask your registered Part P leckie! not DIY legal,regards

john_g
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by john_g » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:39 am

It is diy legal! You just need to comply with part P.

However, how you wire it in I don't know, I'm trying to find out myself.

remelad
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by remelad » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:09 pm

Hi brigzie
i think you will find that sparx is right. If you do this work yourself you have to notify your local building control, which will cost you from £175,as the kitchen is now classed as a special location. The reason behind the cost is they will send out an electrician to inspect your work. I have done the part p course and even i had to go to the council at first, as i needed a couple of jobs under my belt so i could get NIC-EIC to endorse my work. Even a fully qualified electrician must be part p registered to do work in special locations in house hold premises.
Regards Remelad

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:30 pm

[quote="remelad"]Hi brigzie
i think you will find that sparx is right. If you do this work yourself you have to notify your local building control, which will cost you from £175,as the kitchen is now classed as a special location. The reason behind the cost is they will send out an electrician to inspect your work. I have done the part p course and even i had to go to the council at first, as i needed a couple of jobs under my belt so i could get NIC-EIC to endorse my work. Even a fully qualified electrician must be part p registered to do work in special locations in house hold premises.
Regards Remelad[/quote]
BRIGZIE
LISTEN TO REMELAD AND SPARX, AND CHECK DOC PART P
WOT U CAN CAN NOT DO.
I AGREE WITH THESE 3.
BLAKEY1963

john_g
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by john_g » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:03 am

follow this link. It quite clearly says there is no restriction on who can do the work but yes, you do have to notify your local planning department which will have to be figured into overall costs. £129.00 in my case but I suppose charges vary. I wish these electricians would stop saying part P covered electrical work is not DIY legal. It is legal. Also, electricians don't have to be part P registered to do the work but then they will have to notify just like anyone else. Registered electricians can self certify.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/englan ... 19563.html

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:14 pm

Hi Brigzie,
ok I did simplify matters but would it cost £175 or even £125 to get a self-certifiable-part P. registered leckie to do it for you? & he would issue you with a cert. & insurence backed guarantee for that...
Do you want to have to pay upfront fee, have to wait to be inspected by 3rd party, who won't give certs etc. as part of insp.
The only people who are knocking bldg. regs. are the ones who caused it's introduction in the first place, ie, 'other trades' bodging it themselves, unqualified 'electricians' ect. any leckie already 'doing it by the book' would have no prob. getting part P reg, regards,
SPARX

tsb
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by tsb » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:23 pm

Hope you don't mind me joining in in this debate,but if you a confident diy'er and completely rewired your own house it must be cheaper to pay the approx £175. to the council for the certs. then pay an electrician to do the work and self certifi. his work.I,ve seen prices quoted on this forum for around £3000 to do a complete rewire whereas I Just priced the bits for my own 4bed house and they are coming in around £300.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:26 pm