Underfloor Heating & Radiator problem
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
df9864
Labourer
Labourer

Underfloor Heating & Radiator problem

by df9864 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:17 pm

We extended our 'back room' and put (piped) underfloor heating under the new floor area. As the 'original' space was suspended timber floor, we decided to keep the Radiator / gas fire that were already there.
The entire room has an engineered wood floor laid over the top & we have a combi boiler driving the system.
Problem is that the heating in the room is ineffective - the floor is only slightly warmed and the radiator does not get hot. (we have the kitchen in this room otherwise we'd freeze !).
The builder has suggested that we might need a pump. I'm at a loss and wandering if it's been connected up the right way (ie. the rad should take the first input from the boiler flow ?).
Any help / advice you could provide would be much appreciated. I'd like to avoid taking up the floor if possible.
We are friendly with the builder who has otherwise done a great job for us so I'd be happy to pass any tips on (without sounding like I know his job !!).

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:09 pm

df9864,
If the underfloor heating ahs been installed correctly you should have a balancing manifold and pump with associated controls.
Wet underfloor heating should work very well but with a wood covering this will be acting as an insulator. It will probably take about 4 hours for any heat to get through the floor so you will have to run the heating for longer.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1