Underfloor heating with Radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Marian
Labourer
Labourer

Underfloor heating with Radiators

Post by Marian » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:57 pm

I have a new heating system, mostly underfloor, but with radiators in two rooms. It has been plumbed in so that the underfloor heating comes on and off with the radiators, so not having time to heat up before they are switched off. An engineer told me this was the only way..... but I believe otherwise. Can someone confirm and also advise on what I would need to add to my system to allow the radiators to be on and off daily, but the underfloor heating to stay on all the time.
Many Thanks, Marian :?

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

Post by The Heating Doctor » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:02 pm

Good Grief! I can not beleive some installers, under floor systems are not ment to be switched off! You would just control the day/night time temperature by means of programable thermostat(s)!

As you have pointed out the under floor system needs a lot longer to heat up than radiators so the radiators need to be piped with their own independant circuit from the boiler. You would then install a two port motorised valve controlled by a programable thermostat to isolate the radiators when they where not needed and fit each radiator with TRV's.

It's the same principle as when you would have under floor heating down stairs and radiators upstairs, you would pipe the system as two independant circuits with their own time & temperature control.

Marian
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Marian » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:36 pm

Thank You for your prompt reply and sorry for my late one ..... telephone line problems....

Would it be difficult to add a 2 port motorised valve and thermostat to an existing system? It isn't just plumbed into a circit, I have manifold and seperate pump etc for the underfloor.

Argh, I wonder why I employ people .... should have done it myself. :roll:

Thanks, Marian

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

Post by The Heating Doctor » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:43 pm

No it should not be a difficult job, but I would employ a reputable company as the wireing could be a bit tricky. No chance of the original person coming back to sort his mess out?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1