Uneven joists
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gholland
Labourer
Labourer

Uneven joists

by gholland » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:24 pm

I am replacing some chipboard flooring in my bathroom as the old boards (under the bath) have deteriorated. Having removed the old boards, I find that one joist is slightly lower than its neighbours. The new flooring panels therefore dip a bit where I attach them to this joist. I can live with this, but wondered if there is a solution. Obviously I can't raise the offending joist, but would it make sense to put a thin strip of plywood between the top of the joist and the floorboard, to fill the gap ?

harry69
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Uneven joists

by harry69 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:38 pm

[quote="gholland"]I am replacing some chipboard flooring in my bathroom as the old boards (under the bath) have deteriorated. Having removed the old boards, I find that one joist is slightly lower than its neighbours. The new flooring panels therefore dip a bit where I attach them to this joist. I can live with this, but wondered if there is a solution. Obviously I can't raise the offending joist, but would it make sense to put a thin strip of plywood between the top of the joist and the floorboard, to fill the gap ?[/quote]

It would be much less hassle to do it the way you suggest to raise the chipboard subfloor by using a plyboard to create a better level..

If i was to lay something specific like karndean/amtico you would then need to put atleast 6mm ply on the chipboard..
but if the floor is flat and sound and theres no big gaps between the joins in the board or screw/nail heads sitting proud then ou could lay a vinyl/cusion flooring with no problems to a chipboard floor...

hope this advice may be of a small help...

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:01 pm