Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Soundproofer
Labourer
Labourer

Unpermitted bathroom built in 2012

by Soundproofer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:02 pm

Hello,

We have found out that previous owners have built an extra toilet without approval from the building regulation approvals and consent from the freeholder. This has come up as we’re are planning to do some other work at the property and are now having to get approval and consent retrospectively.

Could someone please help me with the following questions:
Q1) where can I find out what building regulations were in place in 2012 for new toilets/en-suites so I can try and see if the works look anywhere near ok?
2) How intrusive retrospective inspections tend to be in bathrooms? New plumbing has been done under another room to get to this bathroom. Would they need to pull up floorboards?
3) How long does the inspection process tend to take?

Thank you!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Unpermitted bathroom built in 2012

by stoneyboy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi soundproofer
Your local BR authority cannot take enforcement action for works completed more than 2 years ago. However not having a certificate for the works may be an issue for your freeholder.
Provided the toilet is connected into your soil system (not rainwater system), a means of ventilation has been provided e.g. a window and the loo does not open directly onto a kitchen or stairs there should be no problem.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:58 am