Unusual Size Internal Cupboard Door That Needs Replacing
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

glaux
Labourer
Labourer

Unusual Size Internal Cupboard Door That Needs Replacing

by glaux » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 pm

I need to replace an internal cupboard door that's 1950 x 680 x 40 (mm). I want to do it on the cheap, I'm thinking B&Q or Screwfix standard flush door, trim a bit and reuse the hinges and lock. The doorframe is still sound.
The problem I'm having is: I'm finding plenty of 1981 x 686 doors, which will trim down fine, BUT - they are all 35mm thick. If I fit one of these, it won't be flush with the frame, it will look recessed by 0.5mm.
If I filter by 40mm thickness, there's nothing the right size. I've looked pretty much everywhere I can think of, short of having something custom made which would work out too expensive.
It seems 1981 x 686 x 40mm is just not a standard British size. Yet that's what I seem to have (it's a 1960s house after all).
Any tips? The only thing I can think of is to get the 35mm door and fit a 0.5 bit of foam padding on the top and bottom corners, thereby killing two birds with one stone: 1. The door fits and 2. It closes silently... Would that work or is there a better way? Thanks.

It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:36 am