All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Batfink
Labourer
Labourer

Upstairs radiators = hot at bottom, cold at top

by Batfink » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:29 am

Hope someone can help...

All our radiators downstairs are fine but upstairs is a different story. We have 6 radiators and 1 heated towel rail upstairs and they are all hot at the bottom but cold at the top. I've tried bleeding them but only a tiny amount of air comes out but no water at all.

I've noticed that the pressure gauge on our combi boiler is well below 1 bar although I have to admit that I did not check this before bleeding the radiators. Could this be the issue? If so, why does it only affect upstairs?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:38 pm

i think you've answered your own question. if the boiler is downstairs, that answers your second question.

Batfink
Labourer
Labourer

by Batfink » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:00 pm

[quote="nitro23456"]i think you've answered your own question. if the boiler is downstairs, that answers your second question.[/quote]

Yes, the boiler is downstairs. So, I need to concentrate on sorting out the pressure first then by the looks of it...

Any ideas on where to start for this? Or should I just refer to the documentation for the boiler?

chrisroberts
Apprentice
Apprentice

by chrisroberts » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:57 pm

Hi there, all you need to do is open the filling loop on the boiler until the pressure gauge reads between 1 and 1.5 bar then bleed your upstaris rads as the air comes out of the bleed nipple the pressure gauge on the boiler will slowly drop again. once the air slows down stop bleeding and re pressure again using the filling loop. and repeat until water comes out of bleed nipple. hope this helps.

Batfink
Labourer
Labourer

by Batfink » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:53 am

Thanks for the info. I now have a new problem..... :cry:

It looks as though access to the filling loop has been tiled over. The plumber is currently on holiday so I'm waiting for him to return so I can get him back to confirm exactly where the filling loop is..then we'll have to get the tiler back...talk about opening a can of worms.

Anyway, I'll post back with an update in a few weeks time..

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 11:22 am