uPVC Window Pushes Out when closed
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Phil_V
Apprentice
Apprentice

uPVC Window Pushes Out when closed

by Phil_V » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi,

I've just moved into a house with uPVC windows, and I've noticed a couple of them have the same problem.
They are all of the type with the bottom of the window swinging out to open, with the 'hinged' edge being the top of the window, (although the actual hinges are on the side edges of the window).
I hope that makes sense!

Anyway, as I close the window it seems to be coming into the frame nicely, and then as the bottom of the window comes inot the frame so as I can lower the handle and fasten the latch, the top edge of the window seems to kick-out, leaving a gap between the top of the window and the frame.

Is there anything I can do with this? I didn't know if perhaps there is usually some adjustment on the hinges?
This is on an upper floor window, so until I can get hold of a long ladder I can't actually inspect the hinges themselves.

Thanks!

rj
Apprentice
Apprentice

by rj » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:18 pm

wthout out looking at it sounds like the friction stays (hinges) are worn or broken you can buy these hinges make sure you get the correct stack hight mesurement from back to front of hinge these are easy to fit by a diyer but you may wish to chat to a repair company

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:49 pm

IF YOU CAN ACCESS THE HINGES.

USE SOME WD40 TO CLEAN THE HINGES.

DRY OFF.

LUBRICATE HINGES WITH SMEAR OF SILICONE GREASE.

allan the locksmith
Tradesman
Tradesman

by allan the locksmith » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:45 am

Is this only happening when you turn the handle ?

If it only happens when you turn the handle it is the top keep that needs slight adjustment as the easiest way of fixing this. The hinges have dropped a little or the window is out of square. As your so high up take a look at the frame and look for the keep on the frame the rollers on the window engage in. If you unscrew that keep and the window works fine then you know it is the problem.
As your so high up just leave it off as i doubt anyone will be forcing your window open. If you want the extra security reattach the keep slightly lower or higher depending on which way your rollers move.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:19 am