URGENT HELP...REGARDING TAPS/FLOW
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vw754
Ganger
Ganger

URGENT HELP...REGARDING TAPS/FLOW

Post by vw754 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:04 pm

Ive had new pipes,new boiler,new shower and a new kitchen....all pipes are new. Problem ive got is the kitchen sink. When the taps are on cold or hot they dont flow smoothe,theres alot of pressure and even if i turn water down at the main supply i still have the problem.

When the water is running it dont flow smoothly,it comes out like ...jumpy, chu/chu/chu thats best i can explain.

If i turn on both hot and cold taps on fully open its hardly noticeable,ive left all the taps in the house running for about 30 minutes but this has done nothing.
The house has been empty for sometime now as im renovating and the radiators have all been taken off so i can paint.

The problem is with all the taps and is noticeable when the toilet is flushed and is filling up again with water

Boiler is brand new and combi boiler

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri May 30, 2008 9:53 pm

it sounds as though air is getting into the system.

i've been shutting my water off and on again a lot lately as i'm doing a lot of renovations (kitchen, bathroom, whole new heating) and whole house is mains fed. my taps do exactly the same as you've described but only for a minute at the most until all the air has been purged.

is there any way air could be getting into your system? what type of system have you had fitted? gravity or mains fed?

richieplum
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by richieplum » Sat May 31, 2008 4:22 pm

If you have had extensive work done, ie combi where you used to have an open vented system boiler, it is very likely that the pipes you can't see are not clipped sufficiently and what you are the proud owner of is water hammer. This happens when a valve opens or closes, or when the water rushing through the pipes sets up a resonance which gets worse and worse for as long as the taps are open. You can cure(?) this in a number of ways.
1. Clip all pipes properly ( tricky under floors )
2. Fit a pressure reducing valve on the rising main just after the stop-tap and drain-off point. Spend a little bit extra and get a good one.
3. Fit an air reservoir on the cold pipe close to the cold inlet of the boiler. I am assuming the boiler is upstairs in a cupboard. If it isn't, then you have to find a suitable location out of the way somewhere. An air reservoir is made by starting with ,say, a piece of 15mm or 22mm copper then a 15/22mm by 67mm reducer, a piece of 67mm copper, say 300mm, the back down to 15/22mm with some form of air cock at the top. The air cock is not for venting but so that if the system is drained at some time any water that builds up in the reservoir can be let out.
4. If you combine items 2 and 3 the result will be even more effective
Last edited by richieplum on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vw754
Ganger
Ganger

Post by vw754 » Sat May 31, 2008 9:55 pm

[quote="chris_on_tour2002"]it sounds as though air is getting into the system.

i've been shutting my water off and on again a lot lately as i'm doing a lot of renovations (kitchen, bathroom, whole new heating) and whole house is mains fed. my taps do exactly the same as you've described but only for a minute at the most until all the air has been purged.

is there any way air could be getting into your system? what type of system have you had fitted? gravity or mains fed?[/quote] Dont know,ive still got radiators diconnected,boiler switched off and had no kitchen sink until a couple of days ago, how can i get rid of the air? house is empty at moment so nothing is used.Ive got a mains supply in the kitchen if that helps,i dont know the difference between mains and gravity fed systems.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:06 am

Who's doing the work ? yourself or plumber ?
if it's a plumber get him to sort it.

You say the problem is just with the kitchen sink ? so the rest of the house is ok ?
If that's the case then i'd be looking at the taps, correct tap fitted ? faulty ?

htg

vw754
Ganger
Ganger

Post by vw754 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:19 am

[quote="htg engineer"]Who's doing the work ? yourself or plumber ?
if it's a plumber get him to sort it.

You say the problem is just with the kitchen sink ? so the rest of the house is ok ?
If that's the case then i'd be looking at the taps, correct tap fitted ? faulty ?

htg[/quote] FITTED KITCHEN TAP MYSELF,ITS NOT JUST KITCHEN TAP ITS ALL THE HOUSE INCLUDING TOILET.

When i open the bath tap that starts hammering away,the original boiler was ''worcester 24 cdi combi'' i now have a 30HE combi condensing boiler.
and its fitted downstairs boiler and all pipes were fitted by IQUANA HEATING.

I have located one of the pipes located under the floor in the landing thats hammering,but i had not had this problem before with my old boiler,saying that when the new boiler was fitted it was working 100% all taps were ok (kitchen taps werent fitted at the time) then after testing the boiler for around 30 minutes radiators were taken off ready for decoratingand i noticed the problem a few days ago.

I talked to a plumber (phone conversation) he said you might have too much pressure,even if i turn down pressure at mains problem stil persists.

Id understand if it were just kitchen taps doing it but problems on bath taps and outside tap and toilet when filling up.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:36 am