Used white spirit.
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Unclebill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Used white spirit.

Post by Unclebill » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:48 pm

I have just completed a small paint job, repainting a slightly tatty mirror frame. After cleaning the brush I am now left with half a jam jar of used white spirit. What does one do with this! It cannot be poured down the sink or buried in the garden -- so what can I do with it??

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dan the man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Do what everyone else does with it, sink job with the water running or use it as a starter for burning wood etc.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:40 pm

white spirit is an organic compound so it does break down into harmless substances in a relatively short space of time.

a friend of mine works for the environment agency and they have a neat solution - a bucket of sand. i keep a small bucket in the van, any used chemicals of this type just gets poured in the bucket. the white spirit will eventually evaporate and/or break down, leaving the paint behind. every now and again agitate the sand and there you go - renders pretty harmless and one bucket lasts me about 2 years!

then when it needs recharging i dispense of the old sand at the local waste management centre in the hardcore bin where it will go into the foundations of some future development.

geezer15
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by geezer15 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:00 pm

I pour the old white spirit back in the container. The paint goes hard at the bottom leaving the white spirit clear at the top. I repeat the process with any other following small paint jobs untill the white spirit has mostly gone and I'm left with a solid container of paint which goes in the bin.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:11 pm