DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Valves: what sort where?

Postby RoyG » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:31 pm

When I look at plumbing fittings, I see several different styles of valve. Stopcocks, gate valves, in-line isolating valves with either a screw head or a small plastic lever, and one other sort with a fairly large brass lever.

I was just wondering what different uses each of these have. I know the ones with screw heads are for isolating taps and washing machines, but what are the basic difference in uses between the other sorts?
Rank: Tradesman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:58 pm


Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:33 pm

Stop taps have rubber washers and and will stop cold water at high pressure.

Gate valves are not guaranteed 100% watertight but have a long life when controlling hot water so would normally be used to isolate various heating and hot water circuits. They also open fully, so unlike other valves, don't restrict flow.

Ball valves with the plastic handle you describe often can be used with water, but are more likely to be used to isolate gasses or compressed air.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics