Ventilation near rising main??
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Marlburian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ventilation near rising main??

by Marlburian » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:24 pm

To allow some leaking underfloor pipework to be replaced, I've had to remove the kick-board and base of my sink unit, and was it damp under there! I'm 99% sure that it's not because of the pipe leaks, and it's drying out quite nicely with a dehumidifier. But at one end there's the rising main (which, of course, was above the unit base) and my water-meter. The rising main has been dripping condensation, the more so since I had double-glazing installed last year, and perhaps this has soaked down to the concrete floor.

I understand why the rising main gets wet, but I'm wondering whether it would help to incorporate a ventilation grill in the kickboard when I re-instate it (and fit a new base)?

On the one hand, it would allow warm air to interact with the rising main, increasing condensation; on the other hand ventilation is meant to reduce it. Perhaps if I installed the grill at the end of the kickboard four feet from the main?

As for the main itself, I intend wrapping felt lagging around it and the other pipework, which will leave some of the meter still exposed. I'm thinking of applying a spray mastic to it (apart from the screen, of course).

What do others think?

Marlburian

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Ventilation near rising main??

by htg engineer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 pm

I would insulate the pipework and the ventilation is going to do more good than harm, as a good airflow will help dry the concrete if it does get wet off the condensation.

Marlburian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Ventilation near rising main??

by Marlburian » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 am

That's what my plumber reckoned yesterday, agreeing that the grill should be at the far end, away from the rising main. Thanks, HTG.

(Incidentally, I was just a little bemused that I had to lend the plumber a marking pen, a Stanley knife, a flat file and a junior hacksaw. I would have thought that most of these would have been standard kit?)

Marlburian

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1