W/B Greenstar 24 Ri or FS 30CDi ?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Brian
Apprentice
Apprentice

W/B Greenstar 24 Ri or FS 30CDi ?

Post by Brian » Tue May 19, 2009 12:59 pm

Our local W/B chappie has recommended a Greenster 24 Ri boiler as a replacement, saying there was no floor standing alternative.
W/B have a Greenstar FS 30 CDi which is floor standing.
Would this be an alternative or is it too over-powered compared to the 24 ? My basic understanding is that a condensing boiler is best when working hard and over capacity does not work.

Thanks

Brian

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri May 22, 2009 3:41 pm

"Our local W/B chappie has recommended a Greenster 24 Ri boiler as a replacement, saying there was no floor standing alternative."

A replacement for what ?
What boiler, what size system, ie how many rooms/radiators/bathrooms ?

"saying there was no floor standing alternative"
Alternative to what ? the 24Ri or your existing boiler.

Alot more info needed if you want any useful advice - this will be why your post has sat there for 4 days and no-one has replied, i've looked a couple of times but decided to skip past it.

htg

Brian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brian » Fri May 22, 2009 5:06 pm

Oh , right then, I was trying to keep things as simple as possible.
Cottage is 200 + yrs old, 20+inch stone walls, no cavity, solid floors, Victorian single story rear extension-solid brick walls.
Present boiler is a Vulcan Continental , floor standing, at least 35 yrs old that feeds 10 rads of varying sizes, again 35+ yrs old.
Will replace with a heat only boiler, new h/w cylinder and all associated pipework changes and 1 extra rad. No combi, no pressurised system.
W/B have a good reputation so got local W/B man to come , look and quote. He said that W/B did not have a floor standing boiler so recommended a wall mounted Greenstar 24 Ri. I looked at W/B website and saw a floor standing boiler, the FS 30CDi. My initial question was wether this would be too large a heating capacity or not as I understand that condensing boilers are best when working near max capabilities ? Since then I have contacted W/B man again and told him about the FS30CDi, which he said he knew nothing about but would find out for me. That is where we are now (but it hardly inspires confidence).
I was tempted to ask for floor standing boiler recommendations but thought that perhaps this was a too open question but if other boiler makes(floor standing) could be recommended I would be most grateful.
A wall mounted one is not easy to place because of the design (or lack of it) of the old extension.
Hope this is a little clearer.
Thanks

Brian

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat May 23, 2009 2:18 pm

There are many floor standing options available other than the Worcester Bosch, for example: http://www.inspiredheating.co.uk/acatal ... ilers.html which is the same size boiler as the WB 30CDI.

An oversized boiler is not as efficient, but you would need all radiator sizes and heat losses to calculate properly.

If WB are recommending the 24Ri what is that based on ? the current boiler or did he do any calcs ?

htg

Brian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Brian » Sat May 23, 2009 2:31 pm

Right, thanks for that.
W/B chappie wandered around and took the info from the old boiler, no measurements of rooms/rads etc.
Should add that we want a good quality boiler, not just the cheapest if that narrows the field down a bit ? Something with a good guarantee, good back-up service and RELIABLE.

Cheers

Brian

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:54 pm