Wall damage after removing kitchen tiles advice needed!
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JayTree
Labourer
Labourer

Wall damage after removing kitchen tiles advice needed!

Post by JayTree » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:02 pm

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to renovations and have just removed all the tiles in my kitchen. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at now - images linked below - but it appears there's the original plaster or plasterboard, which has a kind of brown paper coating, then the original yellow paint, followed by a new layer of paper which has been painted over in white. The wall is full of holes and the tiles have pulled off some plaster in places - again, see photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oMFRbRvViDKvaavh7

I think I could fill and repair most of it, but the thing that I'm confused about is how to get a good finish when much of the surface is now this kind of fluffy brown ripped paper, then large ares of paint on top of that, then more paper, etc.

Should I scrape the heck out of it and then steam all the paper off? Can you tell if it's plasterboard and if so, should I just rip the whole thing out and replace? I have no idea, so suggestions and guidance very welcome!

Many thanks,

Jay

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wall damage after removing kitchen tiles advice needed!

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi jaytree
Looks like you have a mixture of dry lined walls (where plasterboard is stuck on the wall and stud walls.
Presumably you will be re-tiling so the wall finish does not have to be great. Repair using plaster and scrim where reinforcing is needed.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:59 am