Wall Light not Working but Bulbs all Work
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cws666
Labourer
Labourer

Wall Light not Working but Bulbs all Work

by cws666 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:52 pm

One of my wall lights has stopped working. It has three small led bulbs all of which work. I have tested the power supply with an eletricians screwdriver and there is power going into the transformer and the two wires coming out of the transformer are both live - but no light! Sometimes when the screwdriver touches the terminals the bulbs light up and then go out, but mostly they don't. As the light was quite expensive I don't really want to replace it but am at a loss to know where to look next unless I take the light apart to see where the two wires coming out of the transformer go.

Any ideas anyone?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wall Light not Working but Bulbs all Work

by Mr White » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:05 am

What you call "electricians screwdriver" is in actual fact a potential killer, and electricians do not use them because of this fact, the screwdrivers also "lie" (As you have proven)
With this fact on mind, I would suggest you put your "electricians screwdriver" in the bin while you are still able to do so, then invest in a multi-meter and learn how to use it. (Would you try to lay bricks without a trowel) You can buy a multi-meter for around £10, and not only will it tell you what is wrong it has many other uses too.
Don't forget, bin that screwdriver.

cws666
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Wall Light not Working but Bulbs all Work

by cws666 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:32 am

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:46 am