Warm air system advice
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Naomi1985
Labourer
Labourer

Warm air system advice

by Naomi1985 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:26 am

Hi there
I've just had my boiler serviced after moving into our house about 6 months ago.
The service failed because apparently the system isn't ventilated well enough and I need to ensure that there is a permanent vent to the outside from the room the boiler is in (the hall). It needs to be 50cm2.
Can anybody offer advice on whether I need to get a builder in to fit the vent for me if it is easy enough to do myself? (I'm a bit concerned that I'm essentially making a hole in the side of the house). Also can anybody recommend where I get the vent from, or any replacement vents as the house was left in quite a state and I would really like to replace them all.
Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:12 pm

Yeah it can be done by a competent DIYer, go to a gas/plumbing store and ask for a black hole vetilator, the vent has to have a duct across the cavity to prevent it from becoming blocked.

Easiest/neatest way is with a core drill, but expensive if you don't already have one. Alternatively, draw around the duct with a pen or pencil then drill all the way round the pencil line and knock out with hammer and chisel.

htg

Naomi1985
Labourer
Labourer

by Naomi1985 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:36 am

Thanks very much! Gotsomeone coming to look at it today

eggers
Ganger
Ganger

by eggers » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:19 pm

sometimes the air from outside is feed into the return air duct, can be hard to see

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1