Wasps nest in cavity walls
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
NotBobB
Labourer
Labourer

Wasps nest in cavity walls

by NotBobB » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:32 pm

Hi. I know this isn´t the usual post for here (but I cannot find any pest control forums just gardening - if you know of any better places to post this please let me know).

Anyway, elderly relatives have a problem with a wasps nest that have built a nest in the cavity wall and are entering and exiting through a ground level air vent. It´s right outside the main lounge window and already several wasps a day are finding their way in there.
So it is not really one of those "leave them alone and they will die off in winter" kind of things.

I am sure some of you out there have had this or a similar problem. Has anyone got any idea on the best way to get rid of it (and them)? I have been set the task . . . .

Thanks.

Bob.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wasps nest in cavity walls

by stoneyboy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:25 pm

Hi notbobb,
Buy some powder wasp nest killer and puff it all around and into the vent. Make sure you close all adjacent windows and make a sharp exit from the area. The wasps will carry the powder into the nest and it will just kill it but they will be angry looking for who is destroying their home hence clear the area.
Regards S

NotBobB
Labourer
Labourer

by NotBobB » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:36 pm

So that is how the powder works? Wasps take it back to the nest and maybe kill the queen? I take it I should wear protective clothing.

I think the foam stuff will not work in this regard as that supposedly needs to be sprayed directly on the nest.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:26 pm

Hi notbobb,
Protective clothing is not really necessary but don't do it in your swimmers.
Best time to treat into the vent is in the evening, approach quietly and just squeeze the container a number of times to puff powder liberally over and in the vent. Leave quietly and make sure there is no one else in the vicinity. The wasps will circle round trying to find whatever is attacking their nest they will generally be gone by the next day.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:44 am