Water Leaking Through Window Frame Behind Window Sill and Dripping Down Wall
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
disordantfc
Labourer
Labourer

Water Leaking Through Window Frame Behind Window Sill and Dripping Down Wall

by disordantfc » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:37 pm

So I appear to have an issue with a window in my house.

I woke yesterday to the sound of dripping, I was surprised to find it was dripping from above my window frame.

Pooling up and findings its way behind the windowsill and dripping down the wall.

By this time it has stopped raining, but going by a small bit of damage to the paint work on the lintel above the window on the exterior, so I assumed it was an issue with my guttering.

The guttering has now been cleaned and the chap who did it advised that he believes it was nothing to do with this leak.

He has kindly taken some photos of some potential causes of the leak.

This wooden beam runs under the guttering above the lintel over the window (which can be seen in the bottom right of the first pic below)

AS you can see there are various gaps in this mortar.

The second potential issue he advised of was that the lead flagging has came away from the first brick and a half of the chimney shown in the picture below.

The image isn't that clear but from the side there is about a 20mm gap on the left.

My first thought was to venture into the loft to see any signs of water entering or damage from moisture.

I was surprised to find that there was no obvious signs of water or damp up there.

The picture on the right shows the beam that comes across the front face of the chimney.

The picture on the right shows the corner closest to the effected window. Despite there being a small tear in the felt, there was again no signs of water. all the walls seem dry.

So my questions are.

1) could the chimney flagging be to blame despite there being no internal signs of water in the loft ?

2)could the mortar above the lintel between the bricks and the gutter be to blame ?

3) who would you call , a Roofer , a builder or someone to look at the window frame its self ? (the gutter guy said the sealant around the window seems old but in tact)

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Water Leaking Through Window Frame Behind Window Sill and Dripping Down Wall

by welsh brickie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:51 pm

the flashing around the chimney needs repair, But I don't think that's the cause.
The timber behind the gutter needs covering with plastic facia board as this will rot over time. Also the ledge on the brickwork below the gutter is where I suspect the water ingress is happening, A plastic trim siliconed in position and divert the water away from the ledge should stop it.
A roofer can do all the work.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:01 am