All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lindylou_lindylou
Labourer
Labourer

Water pressure problem (Mira shower)

Post by lindylou_lindylou » Fri May 09, 2008 7:48 pm

HI

I have a problem with my en suite shower (Mira) which gets it's hot water from the heating system. It has worked OK for the past 7 years with the odd time of having air in the system.

Recently, the shower lost pressure and the water just faded away to a dribble until there were only drips coming from the shower head. The new cartidge for the Mira shower has been installed but with no significant change. The hot water taps are fine. The hand shower in the bathroom is great but the en suite shower is extremely poor.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what could be wrong with this. I can't blame this on water pressure as it has worked fine for the past 7 years. what can have gone wrong?

Thanks
Lindylou

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat May 10, 2008 9:16 am

try running the shower with the shower head off, it could just be the shower head is blocked with limescale. They can normally be cleaned.

Also check for any filters in the hot water pipe before it connects to the shower.

Either way it'll probably be a limescale problem.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sat May 10, 2008 3:16 pm

some of the Mira showers have inline wire strainer filters which could be blocked. Have a look in the manual (or Google the model) for how they fit.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Sun May 11, 2008 6:53 pm

many new plumbed-in showers also come fitted with NRVs or non-return valves to stop the water flowing back from the shower head (where it is exposed to the air) into the system potentially polluting the system.

i had a very similar problem recently on a pumped crosswater power shower. i contacted the manufacturer and they sent me two low pressure nrvs to replace the high pressure ones that came in the unit. problem solved. not saying that this will solve your problem just something else to consider, if the above fails...

nantycoy
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Water pressure problem (Mira shower)

Post by nantycoy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:08 am

Hi Lindy,

"I have a problem with my en suite shower (Mira) which gets it's hot water from the heating system. It has worked OK for the past 7 years with the odd time of having air in the system. "

I have had exactly the same problem for years! But it is worse when I go away for a couple of weeks, somehow there is even more air in the system which takes ages to disperse. And I cannot find any obvious place for it to enter the system.

Did you get any useful responses?

Chris

zebb
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by zebb » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:29 pm

hi i had this same problem the new cartidges have a water balancing thing inside which the old ones didn't,you will need to make sur there is clod and hot water getting to the cartridge,this will create a balance and open the valve, if only hot is getting to the cartridge the valve will close, a little fine tunning by how much of each hot cold you need will be by trial and error good luck.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:26 pm