Weep holes in upvc doors: Discontinuous?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DNJohnston
Apprentice
Apprentice

Weep holes in upvc doors: Discontinuous?

Post by DNJohnston » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi all,

The bottom rail of my UPVC doors has filled up with water and leaked inwards with the wind and rain we've had of late. There are two small holes in the inner cill, and two larger holes in the outside of the frame. The outer holes are about 15mm lower and 30mm horizontally offset from the inner holes.

No water comes out the outer holes when I pour water into the cill. I have shone a strong light into the outer hole, and I don't see it through the inner hole. It also seems there is a separating horizontal element between the inner and outer holes inside the frame, like an internal 'floor'. So, I suspect it is possible that either there is no hole in this 'floor' connecting the two holes, or there is, but it is blocked and inaccessible.

My question is, is there any issue with me just drilling straight through the inner hole and down through the 'floor' thing so that the inner and outer holes can link up?

I don't know anything about door frames, presumably there is a reason why weep holes are generally offset, and presumably every element within the frame does a job. Am I going to break the whole thing by drilling through it??!

Any advice welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Weep holes in upvc doors: Discontinuous?

Post by stoneyboy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi dnjohnston
Presumably you are not saying that the doors themselves fill with water, but that it is the cill of the frame. If this is correct then drill outwards and downwards through the reinforcing web from the inner holes. Try not to drill completely through to the outer skin.
Regards S

DNJohnston
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Weep holes in upvc doors: Discontinuous?

Post by DNJohnston » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:13 am

Hi Stoney, that is exactly right. I will try drilling through and see if that encourages better drainage. Thanks!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:24 am