weight bearing of trusses
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
freesolar
Labourer
Labourer

weight bearing of trusses

by freesolar » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:01 pm

I have Fink trusses in my work shop. I wish to use the ceiling trusses to bear the weight of lifting objects in the shop,(up to 500 lb.) The trusses are 2X4 construction with a span of 22 feet. I would install two beams (4X4)'s six feet apart, spanning 3 trusses to bare the weight.
Any thoughts on this as far as being adequate?
Thank You.

dannyppp
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: weight bearing of trusses

by dannyppp » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:56 pm

[quote="freesolar"]I have Fink trusses in my work shop. I wish to use the ceiling trusses to bear the weight of lifting objects in the shop,(up to 500 lb.) The trusses are 2X4 construction with a span of 22 feet. I would install two beams (4X4)'s six feet apart, spanning 3 trusses to bare the weight.
Any thoughts on this as far as being adequate?
Thank You.[/quote]

Would bolt a couple of flitch plates to them if it was me, better safe than sorry

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:07 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:36 pm