DIY Doctor

Main navigation

What can they do?

Postby Middles » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:15 pm


I have 2 very elderly parents who currently own a link detached property. The linked garages have a sloping front to rear roof. Their neighbour has decided to build an extension above his part of the garage and extending down the side of the house to the back and out beyound the current rear of the house. Plans look as though they intend to have a bathroom window directly overlooking my parents property (within a couple of feet) and it looks as though the new total floor plan will add about 60 - 70 percent to the current floor plan.
My parents have objected to this but recieved a letter from the council asking them whether they would like to amend or withdraw their complaint. Not a particularly good start! They are worried to the point of becoming VERY ill over this now because they are predominantly worried about the time this project is going to take and the mess it will entail as well as having a huge new building running down the side of their postage stamp sized garden. Their concern is also due to the neighbour intending to carry out this work himself with a mate! and as you can probably tell this is going to be a huge project, right along side of my parents boundry.
Can anyone give me any advice or directions on where to go to try and get some assistance for my parents, even if it's just advice on how to ensure that this project does not intrude excessively into their lives, i.e. noise and scaffolding/building debris in their garden, bearing in mind that they are retired and will be at home 24/7.
Many thanks, from a very concerned son.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:58 pm

Postby LCL » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:42 pm


I assume the neighbours have not yet got planning consent. Worth amending the objection quoting matters like:

Over bearing effect
Out of scale development with the existing property
Potential over looking

If they get planning consent, it soulnd like they will need to serve party wall notices 1. becuase they may be raising the party wall separating the garages and 2. if they are excavating withing 3m of your parents property and to an assumed greater depth.

If either of these apply and they do not serve notices, phone a local Chartered Building Surveyor the day work commences so he can take over party wall proceedings. In the vast majority of cases the fees for the surveyors lie with the building owner (the one having the work carried out). The party wall award will cover all matters such as clearing up debris, working hours etc. You may even be able to charge for scaffolding being erected on your land under a acaffold license.

Hope this helps.

Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics