What is Best Wall Covering in a Shower Room
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stav1981
Labourer
Labourer

What is Best Wall Covering in a Shower Room

Post by stav1981 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:50 pm

I am looking to install a shower in a cupboard we've knocked through into the bathroom.

I've had several quotes now and im a little confused of what is best to attach acyrilic shower panels onto, a timber frame is ready and upon asking some of the bathroom fitters, they say marine ply, some say ply with pva, some have even suggested plasterboard is fine.

I am guessing the shower panels are waterproof anyway so does it really matter ? Is marine ply too excessive just right or just a waste of money? I would like to get some opinions on what to use. Im happy to spend more and get somethign that will last longer but the amount of conflicting information is putting me at a loss at the moment.

anticipating your answers and judgements :D

thedoctor

Re: What is Best Wall Covering in a Shower Room

Post by thedoctor » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:40 am

It’s really a case of horses for courses - some prefer to be as safe as possible and insure in the unlikely event of a leak that damage will be limited by using marine ply. Using standard ply should also be fine and will ensure rigidity across the frame and the ova will provide a waterproof seal and aid with bonding.

If there is a timber frame already in place you can use plasterboard as long as the timber frame does not allow any flex in the plasterboard. You can install additional stud work and noggins to make the frame more rigid.

Any flex would allow the shower panel to flex also and this could lead to leaks as seals could be stretched and split. The panel should be glued to the plasterboard with a solvent free adhesive such as this one https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-supers ... ge-c4.html

Hope this helps

DocMartin
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by DocMartin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:35 am

I think the idea of using marine ply etc is that in case your shower isn't waterproof, at least at some point in the future, you won't get rapid deterioration in whatever is behind the shower.

I've also seen people painting ply/marine ply with pva - as a waterproofing coat. Exterior pva though (even then, some say pva is not for areas likely to suffer a lot of moisture). Belt and braces again. You can of course buy stuff for tanking shower areas - it's a bit like a rubbery paint you can paint on - it's strong enough to tile onto as well. WhiteStar? is a good name, expensive though.

The other option might be tilebacker board - made by Knauf or Hardibacker. It's a cementitious particle board and screws into studwork. You buy a pack of special screws with it and can also buy a tube of sealant to seal the joints between the panels (although, I think they say you can get away with silicone too).

I would say that although I'm not sure how your shower goes together, you need to put fillets of silicone (i.e. something flexible) down the joints where the panels meet (if there are joints) as grout doesn't flex and joints between two different panels can move and flex, so need a flexible sealant.

stav1981
Labourer
Labourer

Post by stav1981 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:00 am

Much appreciated and thank you for you advice and knowledge :) by any chance are you interested in fitting my bathroom too :) haha

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 am