What is the best way to go on Home Security?
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Natosha Jacobs
Labourer
Labourer

What is the best way to go on Home Security?

by Natosha Jacobs » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:18 am

I have been reading all I can as we approach our build. I know what I want...programmable, accessible anywhere on smartphone, cameras as well as motion, fire, smoke...all that. But my worries are a few. One, I'm on Centurylink for internet and the system regularly goes down and to reset the modem you have to unplug it and replug...impossible if on vacation in Italy...How do we approach that issue? Second is the security of home security. How hacker-proof are the new wifi designs and how do we make sure it's not accessible to someone with a smartphone?

JimmyO
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: What is the best way to go on Home Security?

by JimmyO » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:18 pm

If you want a smart home security with cameras, alarm, notion detectors etc with remote access and control, you certainly need a stable wifi. Preferably, unlimited fibre. Response time can be crucial becuase you need live feeds. These devices will not work properly if you do not have a strong broadband connection. You can try a new router but talk to your provider first for compatibility.

Doorlock Finder
Labourer
Labourer

by Doorlock Finder » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:49 pm

To make your home safe, you can take the following steps:
    1. First you should install a strong front door as well as door frame.
    2. A quality door lock should be installed to make the door burglar-proof.
    3. Install quality windows.
    4. You can also use a burglar-proof alarm system.
    5. Keep the Garage Door Closed.
    6. Also you can use other home security equipment like smart door lock, CC cameras, fire alarms etc.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:37 am

I agree with @Doorlock Finder secure doors and windows is better than any alarm.

To types of intruder, opportunist and professional, you will not stop latter, but you want to deter the opportunist, so car in drive so looks like some one home, clean bell box on wall so looks as if it's active, better if it has local security firms name on it, but as to camera and PIR detectors if they are activated it is too late.

themfox
Labourer
Labourer

by themfox » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:46 am

JimmyO wrote:If you want a smart home security with cameras, alarm, notion detectors etc with remote access and control, you certainly need a stable wifi. Preferably, unlimited fibre. Response time can be crucial becuase you need live feeds. These devices will not work properly if you do not have a strong broadband connection. You can try a new router but talk to your provider first for compatibility.

Agreed... the main thing is the router. Standard ones supplied by broadband firms are never much good. I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM with over 30 devices permanently connected and its never skipped a beat in 2 years

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:09 am