DIY Doctor

Main navigation

what is this hole inside bottom of window frame - help needed identifying

Postby SusanAnotherone » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:04 pm


I just had some new aluminium windows installed. On the inside of each of the frames, at the bottom (ie the part that is covered when the window is closed) there is a hole as per picture attached.

window final.jpg

When I said to installer - what are these, surely they will just allow debris to get into the window frames. He said "they are the drainage holes of course !"

well, I have just spent a couple hours googling trying to establish if this is case. It seems that it is not, I think ! Im finding that there should be drainage holes on outside, at lowest point, to let water out, but Im not finding anything re this hole at top part of frame that I have.

Should they be there ? Perhaps there should be covers for them ?
any help much appreciated ...
thanks, Susan
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:44 am


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:59 pm

They are drainage holes, If you get a cup of water and fill them you will see the water appear outside
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics