What is This Moulding for Shelf in VW T4
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Snark
Labourer
Labourer

What is This Moulding for Shelf in VW T4

by Snark » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:39 pm

I'm planning replace a moulding which provides a finish to a shelf in my VW T4 conversion.
Shelf and Moulding.jpg

I wonder if anyone can help me determine what I need to be looking for as a replacement.
It is, I think, MDF covered in some sort of pretend light-oak plastic veneer. As I hope can be seen from my photos it is rather an elaborate quadrant which attaches to the edge of the shelf and then curves underneath to provide a decorative cover to the edge of the shelf.
Indicates the moulding on one of its vertical side, and the size
Indicates the moulding on one of its vertical side, and the size

Is there a name for such a moulding? Is it available? Where might I buy it?
It need replacing as part of it has suffered water damage, and the plastic coating has come adrift from the MDF.
Corner viewed from beneath
Corner viewed from beneath

Many thanks.

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Re: What is This Moulding for Shelf in VW T4

by Sometimewoodworker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:05 am

It is probably custom made and unavailable. If it has water damage then don't bother to try to match it, specially with MDF as that will not last long if it gets wet. Look for something in wood and replace all the edging. If the colour is wrong then stain it before using polyurethane to finish it. Don't bother to try to find the same profile, you won't, just look for something you like.

Snark
Labourer
Labourer

by Snark » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks, Sometimewoodworker. I'll take your advice!

Shem KSW
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Shem KSW » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:15 pm

Most builder centres have a massive selection of these in hard and softwood, it may be worth taking a piece along to try and match. If you fail buy new :D Good luck

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:23 am